I celebrated my 30th birthday on the 4th of August. It was a bit surreal, feeling like I was now a proper fully grown adult. Although, I have been one for a very long time now. I mean, I have been self sufficient and living by myself for the last 14 years but there was something about turning 30 that sent me on a bit of a self discovery while leading up to the day.
I noticed a lot over the last year or so that I felt like I had become older, wiser and that I developed a new care free attitude compared to the one I had in my early twenties. I noticed I had become more headstrong, I gave myself more backing and I honestly started to not give a damn about what anyone else thought about me. I know that I am a good person, I know I have people who love me and most of all I know who I am. This started to definitely show on the outside while I could feel it on the inside. It gave me more confidence to do things, try things and even step out of my comfort zone when it came to wearing clothes.
With this new found lease of life, assurance in myself and happiness from within I felt like I could be more productive and achieve more than I was.
I’ve also learned to shut off from work at a reasonable time and am not running myself into the ground doing a 15 hour + day every day. I now take off the weekend, not just the odd one but every single one. That means now, every weekend is a happy weekend as I am not running around like a headless chicken or stressing over the mountain of work I have to do.
It means I now have more time with my wonderful partner to be able to do the things we want, I also get to spend time with my beautiful family and plan fun trips out as I know I am always going to have the time to give them. This has really given me a new lease of life and a happier out look.
Even though I have this new outlook on life and live a much quieter one than I used to I am still wanting to party in London, treat myself to luxuries and spend time with my friends.
I’ve found that a few little things have helped me along the way to feeling how I do now, and they are…
- Not taking the stress of yesterday into a new day – I try to always resolve everything that may have been stressful on the day it happens, I never go to bed angry and always leave the day behind
- Treat myself – Something I found I wasn’t doing was treating myself, this made me feel like I wasn’t really worth anything for a while. Now I will look to treat myself to something I want every month, whether its new make up, a new notebook or looking at Biba bags for sale.
- Eating regularly – I noticed when I was working 15 hours+ a day I wasn’t eating. This means I was getting an energy slump, feeling tired and like I had no get up and go. Now, because I work a more structured day and finish at a reasonable time I am able to make sure I eat breakfast, grab lunch and make a proper home cooked meal. This has done wonders for my energy and how I feel about myself.
- Self care – I never used to be big on self care as I always thought there was something else that needed doing. It then clicked one day that I need to be looked after just as much as I was looking after everyone else. I now take time out on a Sunday morning where I have a nice long bubble bath, put on a hair and face mask and take some time to just be by myself. I will normally read some of the latest book I’m reading and really pamper myself for a couple of hours.
- Spending time with family – I remember one day my daughter turned around and said to me “Mummy, you’re always behind your computer. I know you have to work but sometimes it would be nice to just watch a movie or chat” – it broke my heart. I’ve found a new found love for family time now, I embrace every moment of it and I love all the memories we have been making together.
It’s so amazing that small, simple things can really help change your outlook on life and how you are as a person.
*Post does contain some sponsored links, all views and words are my own