One day there was a little girl who loved to play with everything, she would get her nose into all sorts of mischief whether that was mixing concoctions in the bathroom, pulling the dogs tail or opening up the hoover bag and getting dust everywhere just to see what was inside.
One day this mischevious girl decided she would flush a whole pack of baby wipes down the toilet, I mean what harm could they do? One by one she placed them in, giggling away to her naughtiness and pressed the handle to flush them all away. Suddenly the water started rising and panic filled her, the water started flowing over the toilet bowl… What had she done?
She ran away from the scene as quietly as she could but she could not mistake her fathers footsteps heading to the scene of the crime, she panicked some more, should she blame the dog? Elves maybe? She heard her father scream “CHARLOTTE! CHARLOTTE! CHAAAARLOTTE! GET HERE NOW!” Alas, she was found out and now you know that little girl was me.
I can tell you since that day I have not flushed anything that isn’t meant to be flushed down the toilet, my dad might not be here to tell me off but any time I think about it I shudder at the fear that went through me. Something I didn’t know is that 1 in every 10 people who use some sort of wipe whether it be face, baby, tanning or deoudorant flush it down the toilet along with cotton wool, cotton buds and other random beauty bits, this creates what United Utilities like to call ‘Beauty-Bergs’.
Beauty-Bergs can be very dangerous and cause a whole heap of mess, not only for you but also for those you may share your plumbing with not to mention it could become costly if you have to have someone come out to fix the problem.
You can take the pledge to be ‘In It To Bin It’ and stay Beauty-Berg free.
- Be a bedroom binner winner – when getting ready, have your bedroom bin handy for quickly disposing of cotton pads, buds or tanning wipes.
- Don’t be fooled by flushable – even if your make-up wipes say ‘flushable’ they can and do still block pipes and sewers.
- Avoid blocked pores AND blocked pipes – have your make-up removal wipes ready for when you get back in so you can wipe, bin and sleep. You’ll avoid blocked pores, ‘panda eyes’ and festive flushing fiascos!
Lastly I have a giveaway so that you can treat yourself to some nice new beauty supplies as a pat on the back for not flushing nasties down the toilet, all you have to do is fill out the widget below and the winners will be chosen at random.
A few rules before you get entering
- Open to UK residents only (sorry but the gift cards don’t work online nor can they be used in Ireland)
- There will be two winners one for £30 worth of Boots Gift Cards and one for £20 Worth of Boots Gift Cards.
- The giveaway will be open from 22/01/2015 – 04/02/2015
*This is a promotional post and I was given the gift cards for a giveaway in conjunction with this post, the story is however true and I shudder every time I think about it.