I love that my pose of choice is quite clearly screwed up faced kissy lips! Ha! Anyway on to the blog post…
You see it all the time when you’re a young parent, people trying to decipher whether this small human you have in your possession belongs to you or if you’re just borrowing them from the tiny village where they hide them. What gets to me though is how ignorant a lot of people can be and the stupid things that come out of their mouths.
After being asked for the millionth time if I am my daughters sister I thought I would share an array of comments that have actually been said to me over the years.
- Did you finish school? – Yes, yes I did! Did you?
- Did you have a baby to scrounge off the government and get somewhere to live? – Firstly how bloody rude! Secondly although there are people out there that do this they are a very minute amount so don’t tar me with that brush and lastly although I now do live in a council property that I am very grateful for, we have always been a working family and I never had a baby to ‘scrounge’ off the government.. Not that its any of your business.
- Aww your little sister is so cute! – Erm, mine? Have you met my sisters? They are monsters. Oh, that one? No, she’s my daughter.
- And will Tapanga’s parents be joining us? – *Raises hand* Present!
- Are you sad you never got a life? – As opposed to this non existent one I’m living now? I have a life thank you and a pretty darn good one at that.
- You really missed out on your education. – Oh, you’re talking to me again! You quite obviously know me so well to know that I didn’t carry on with my education and get numerous qualifications… Oh wait, I did!
- Does Tapanga have a father, is he in the picture? – Shocker for you here, all children are made by two people so she does in fact have a father. Is he in the picture? I can get you a picture of him to prove he most definitely is… Moron!
- Sorry no one under the age of 18 can pick a child up off the premises. – I kid you not, this was said to me when Tapanga was around 6 months old and in nursery while I was at college. My reply was simple, I pay you obscene amounts of money to look after my child here and I’m grateful that you are looking out for my child’s safety but I am her mother and I would like her back. The woman still didn’t believe me and we had to have management come out to confirm that I was an exception to the rule as I am in fact the child’s mother… Arghh!
- Oh you have a baby, how old? – Well I didn’t say I had a baby, I said child which implies much older. She’s nearly 10 *shocked, confused face from other person* which then leads to…
- You don’t look old enough to have a nearly 10 year old. – No shit Sherlock! I do have one though.
There are so many others but I would be sat here all day writing them up.
Were you or are you a young parent? Or have you ever had a conversation with someone that has ever come across comments like this or handed out comments like this?
As always I would love to know in the comments.